Coffee Table Upcycle

Good Morning :)

Remember in February when we talked about my living room refresh and I said I'd eventually upgrade my coffee table. Well this weekend I did just that for about $60. It's a lot bigger then my last one and fits the room so much better . I knew I didn't have the budget for the one I wanted ... ($699) so I took to Kijji and got lucky with a table that was just posted for $35.00 . 

 

image.jpg

I thought about keeping it the way it was but it had that yellow tinge and everytime I walked by it, I got that twitch lol . Anthony agreed to help me with the top using materials we had left over in the garage from signs . The total we spent on the table was $60 including the wood . 

Thankfully the top popped off easily, I even did it myself ... using the power tools ! I'm a little too comfortable with the drill now, I think Anthony's nervous .

 

 

image.jpg

I used left over paint from kendalls room , it's a vintage white colour by Benjamin Moore. Every piece of painted furniture needs prep. I know a lot of newer paint lines advertise that you don't but I strongly disagree. 

First I sanded off the finish , and then I cleaned it thoroughly with TSP .  

 

image.jpg

The first coat of paint always makes me rethink painting . Especially when I know it's going to take at least 3 to cover properly.  

 

image.jpg

After 3 coats the coverage was perfect .  

 

image.jpg

I wanted it to look old so after I went though all the trouble of making the paint look perfect, I started to sand some of it off. My neighbours think I'm crazy .  

 

image.jpg

After I distressed I topcoated the base with General Finishes  "High Performace Topcoat."

For the top we used 6" knotty pine boards. I wanted to slap them together with some screws and call it a day but you know who made me do it properly . 

So first used the biscuit joiner, then we glued, after that we used a pocket hold jig to drill the holes and then added the screws .  

 

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

After I sanded the top for 2 hours ( I hate sanding btw) I was ready for stain. I used my favourite Sansin gel stain in "Early American." 

 

image.jpg

It was a bit blotchy so I did two coats and then topcoated with Sansin's  water based urethane.  

 

image.jpg

Finally I secured the top with the same screws that came off the original top .

 

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm absolutely thrilled with the way it turned out ! It looks beautiful in the living room and fits the space so much better . 

I love when being resourceful pays off. I was able to get exactly what I wanted and saved about $639.00 . Onto the next project . 

Thank you for reading :) 

- Megan xoxo