Like most 80's babies, Anthony and I grew up eating hamburger helper. To be honest, though I've never made it, we've always tried to eat as real as possible. Except for fish, a few times a month Anthony eats a gluten-free, vegetarian diet which, can be a real pain when you want a quick meal that's filling, inexpensive, and that the kids will eat. This week I played around with a gluten-free vegan pasta dish that just happened to taste like hamburger helper. This recipe is good fresh, as leftovers, and freezes well.
1 TBS Olive Oil
2 cloves of shredded garlic
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tsp oregano
Salt & Pepper
2 cups of shredded mushrooms
2 cups pasta sauce (homemade or my favourite from La Rose Bakery here in Milton)
1. Cook pasta according to instructions.
2. Sautée the olive oil, garlic, onions, salt & pepper until the onions are brown.
3. Add in the mushrooms, oregano, and cook for a few minutes, until the juice runs brown.
4. Add the tomato sauce, and bring to a boil.
5. Add cooked pasta to the sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
Tip* Our kids eat meat, a favourite is tacos! I always had 50% shredded mushrooms to their meat for added nutrition and less beef.
What are some of your easy go-to recipes? I would love more ideas!
Happy Wednesday, Friends